Week one is over and while we had high hopes for Rebel rookies, I doubt many expected things to go quite this well. There are 28 former players in the NFL and most of them were on active rosters during week one. Let’s see how they did.
Notable week one performances
- Brandon Bolden had seven yards on a single carry for the Patriots, but his 35 yards on two kick returns helped New England to a 33-3 week one win over Pittsburgh.
- AJ Brown led the Titans in receiving with 100 yards on three receptions, including an electric 51-yarder where...well just watch:
- Another former Rebel pass catcher, another team high in yards. Unfortunately, Engram’s 11 catches for 116 yards and a touchdown didn’t help the Giants beat the Cowboys, but watching Eli to Engram is always a treat.
- Not to be outdone, D.K. Metcalf also led his team in receiving yards with four catches for 89 yards as the Seahawks pulled out a late 21-20 victory over the Bengals. Metcalf showed up wearing a legendary Seahawks jersey, Steve Largent’s No. 80. Then D.K. went out and broke the Hall of Famer’s rookie record of 86 receiving yards in a debut. Not bad.
- Speaking of Easy E, Eli was pretty good for the Giants. He was 30-for-44 for 306 yards and a touchdown. The Giants defense giving up 35 points was the story here, though, not any lack of offense from our son.
- Dawson Knox was targeted about as much as he was with Phil Longo calling plays this week. His one reception for one yard isn’t great, but it is definitely a start, and shows the Bills plan to bring him along quickly in his first season in the NFL.
- Greg Little was slated to get the start at left tackle for the Panthers in their 30-27 week one loss to the Rams, but was ruled out Friday and is in concussion protocol.