After a weekend that is undoubtedly the biggest weekend in the history of college football in Mississippi, both Ole Miss and Mississippi State are the talk of the sports world. Hugh Freeze and CeCe Jefferson are on the front page of ESPN's college football hub today, every other article on our SB Nation mothership seems to involve the Magnolia State, and the Egg Bowl's teams are even sharing a Sports Illustrated cover this week. Everybody (outside of Crimson Tide fans) seem to be curiously excited that the state of Mississippi is the center of the college football universe, if only for the underdog angle and the novelty of it all.
As a Mississippian, it's an odd, albeit refreshing feeling to hear so much praise and positive press regarding Mississippi from national news outlets. Typically, when it comes to college football, Ole Miss and Mississippi State are afterthoughts, as in "LSU beat some team from Mississippi whatever who cares onto next week." When it comes to everything else, it's usually "hey, look at these idiots," unless Clarksdale, Oxford, or Ocean Springs find themselves in somebody's travel section. In seeing what we're seeing, I can't help but just feel good for both Rebels and Bulldogs fans. We're both enjoying the same thoughts and feelings right now.
So, knowing that it won't last forever, let's enjoy it while it's here.
- It's Meltdown Time! My favorite quote from the Bama meltdown: "I'm going to eat Red Lobster shrimp until I puke."
- This guy Gumps so hard. And for an Alabama fan to accuse Ole Miss of buying off referees is... really, really refreshing.
- Was our College Gameday the "best Gameday ever?" The show's producer, Lee Fitting, seems to think so, and they're already talking about making a return visit to the Grove this season.
- Ole Miss and Mississippi State are tied in the two most important college football polls. They're both No. 3 in the Associated Press poll and No. 2 in the SB Nation SEC Power Poll.
- Bo Wallace is the SEC's offensive player of the week. So add that to your RedCupRebellion Rebel of the Week honors, Dr. Bo!
- Speaking of Sports Illustrated covers, here's a look at Ole Miss' history with the publication.
- Here are SB Nation's composite top-25 rankings, where Nos. 1-4 are all in the SEC West. As you've come to expect, this pisses off a lot of Nole fans.
- Remember that columnist from Florida who, for like the third time in a decade or so, wrote a column on how the SEC should drop Ole Miss and Mississippi State in favor of USF and UCF. Well he's wrong.
I guess the good doctor's leaving the Rebs to form a doo wop group. T'was fun while it lasted, y'all.