Yesterday, the weight of our upcoming date with No. 1 Alabama finally hit me. I knew it was a big deal to us Rebel fans - we haven't been able to shut up about it - but as my inbox kept getting fuller and fuller with articles, stories and blog entries related to Ole Miss' biggest game in a decade, I realized that this game is a big deal to everyone else who watches college football as well.
There are playoff scenarios, SEC West (so, the SEC) title races, recruiting advantages, and coaches legacies at stake. There's a chance for a re-re-resurrected program to knock off a universally loathed powerhouse. There's the Grove getting its just desserts as a featured college football location on ESPN's College Gameday. There's the fact that this is the biggest SEC Western division game to date in a season which sees the SEC West as being nothing shy of a vicious juggernaut.
It's just a lot for a bloggeur to handle. This game is going to be so stressful, so nerve wracking, and so absolutely spectacular for Ole Miss and Oxford. Worst case scenario, we'll still prove that we've earned the attention.
On with the links!
- Roll Bama Roll has a lot to say. Here's their breakdown of the numbers for both Ole Miss and Alabama, where they learn that - surprise! - Ole Miss doesn't suck. Here's their look at our Rebel offense. And here's them asking just who in the heck is this Robert Nkemdiche fella?
- Here's ESPN's Trevor Matich rippin' off yours truly. (This ring a bell?)
- Bill C projects the SEC West and learns that both Ole Miss and Mississippi State have legit shots to win this weekend. To Hell with Hume has his own projections in the Fanposts, and gives Ole Miss a 7% chance of winning the division - I'll take that.
- Pick Six Previews picks the Rebs. To their credit, they're doing pretty well in their picks this year.
- Team Speed Kills thinks Cooper Manning is going to be the guest picker for College Gameday. Me, I'm banking on Kermit the Frog.
- Speaking of College Gameday... It's happening!
- Haley Barbour says he'd like to have a helicopter to watch both Ole Miss and State play on Saturday. He then remarks that "even a former governor can't pull that one off," as if his bank account itself couldn't handle a helicopter. C'mon, Haley. You can do it.
- Bret Bielema's going to say something dumb and hilarious this weekend.
- And this weekend could be absolutely huge for Ole Miss' recruiting efforts.
Don't lett Ross Bjork Down
You get your ass up and you holler like a damn banshee when this team's on defense.
And then there's this interesting tweet...
#olemiss presents Gameday Battles #hottytoddy pic.twitter.com/N2PBjfQBNp— Ole Miss (@OleMissRebels) October 2, 2014
Bo Wallace isn't that buff, you guys. Stop it.