Darius Winston, the most recent in a long string of recruiting cock teases (see: Kieland Williams, Joe McKnight, Frank Gore, et al), committed to the Arkansas Razorbacks today at noon.
Who else isn't surprised by this?
When I tell people that I quit giving a hell about recrootin' and they subsequently ask me why, I just point to these incidents. Honestly, they all follow a pretty straight-up forumla:
- 5 star, 4 star, or highly touted 3 star athlete
- Not from Mississippi
- Mentions the Rebels often but never in a glaringly positive light, until...
- They rant and rave about the Grove, IPF, etc
- "I really love/have a great relationship with/just got $100 from coach [coach's surname]"
- Yancy Porter and the like swear up and down the kid's a Rebel before saying "oh, well maybe" a day before he commits elsewhere
Everybody, tone down the recruiting babble for now. So we didn't get Winston. I personally thought we never had a shot in the first place but, remember, these are 17-and-18-year-olds who have no real clue as to what they're doing and oftentimes change their minds anyway. They're not deliberately stringing anybody along. Hell, they're confused, if anything! They've got a bunch of old white guys calling them constantly and even coming to their houses to promise them
Ok, sorry for getting carried away there. I needed to vent that out.