As always, these initial ballots are draft ballots. If what you see in front of you is, as you see it, dead wrong, then speak up. If you and others can make a decent enough case to have these teams moved around, then I'll do that. First is the BlogPoll ballot, with the SEC Power Poll ballot just after the jump.
There was significant movement this week, most notably with teams dropping out of the top-25 due to losses this past weekend. Buh-bye to the Razorbacks, the Cornhuskers (they'll be back), the Cowboys and the Badgers. Boise State is the victim of their own scheduling, as they didn't play anybody this past weekend and, at 0-1, have no real place on a top-25 list. BYU beat the tar out of Weber State, meaning that they're not impressive enough to stay in the poll in place of UCLA, Zona, USF, Oregon State, et al.
Notre Dame almost lost to Purdue, so they tumble. Florida State hasn't beaten anybody worth a damn, but they have looked untouchable doing so, meaning that I legitimately feel that, purely from a talent standpoint, they're one of the top teams in the country.
Georgia and South Carolina got big jumps. Georgia's self explanitory, but South Carolina was ranked where they were in more of a "do I think they would beat the following teams" type of deal.
My SEC Power Poll ballot for this week is:
- Alabama - Of course.
- LSU - And it's deja vu all over again.
- Georgia - The Dawgs might play old man football, but it's Old Man in a way that Herschel Walker is technically kinda old. He'd still beat your ass if he wanted to.
- Sakerlina - The Gamecocks are going to be somewhat hard to judge over the next few weeks. Their first big time SEC test post-Vanderbilt is Mizzou in two weeks. After that, it's two more weeks before they travel to Athens to play Georgia.
- Tennessee - I was tempted to rank them number four, only because they've been convincing in their wins.
- Florida - That Saturday win was very impressive. They toughed it out against a motivated, talented opponent in a hostile environment. Nice job, Gators.
- Mississippi State - This is a Phillip J. Fry "not sure if" type of moment. Not sure if State's good or if Auburn's really just that bad.
- Missouri - The only reason I'm raking the Eastern Division Tigers over the Aggies is...
- Texas A&M - ...because losing to Georgia at home is easier to excuse than blowing a lead to the Gators at home. Georgia really is that much better.
- Ole Miss - WE ARE STILL NOT LAST!
- Auburn - I think a lot of people are playing the "let's give Auburn the benefit of the doubt here" card. Screw that. Their offense was atrocious on Saturday.
- Kentucky - Looked good against Kent State. Dunno what to make of that.
- Vanderbilt - 0-2 against good teams is still 0-2.
- Arkansas - SQUAWK EM HAWK EM SQUAWK EM HAWK EM SQUAWK EM HAWK EM!